As the temperatures rise, new beauty problems seem to crop up: frizzy flyaways or otherwise damaged hair, sunburn, and shiny skin are just a few of the things you now need to worry about. Fret not! These summer beauty tips will help you stay safe and gorgeous all summer long.
Issue no. 1 – Frizzy hair
Coconut oil is excellent for taming those frizzy flyaways. Although there are many great products on the market that reduce frizz, we prefer to handle this issue with all natural ingredients. Mix equal parts of coconut and avocado oil in a spray bottle and apply on the frizzy parts of your hair. Voila!
Issue no. 2 – Dry hair
The scorching sun, chlorine from the pool and salty sea water can all seriously damage your hair. The good news is, there’s an easy fix for that. Mix one ripe avocado, one egg, a tablespoon of honey, and a tablespoon of coconut oil in a blender to make a moisturizing, all-natural hair mask. Apply it to the dry parts of your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes. Your hair will thank you for it!
Issue no. 3 – Fading hair color
You might have noticed that salty water and the scorching sun tend to dull the color of your hair. You only need one (all natural!) ingredient to prevent the color from fading: apple cider vinegar. Pour a half cup of apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz it all over your hair. Leave it on for ten minutes and then rinse your hair thoroughly. Use it every time you’ve spent a day outside and your gorgeous color will last much longer.
Issue no. 4 – Sweaty feet
Wearing sandals and flip-flops is not always possible, especially if you work in an office or customer service. Closed-toe shoes, however, can cause excessive sweating and bad body odor. To refresh your feet after a long day, soak them in brewed and cooled black tea for thirty minutes. The tannins in the tea (plant polyphenols) will help reduce sweating and odor.
Issue no. 5 – Calluses
Wearing flip-flops or running around bare feet can cause calluses to form. Instead of spending money in the nail salon, grab a potato to smooth your feet! Cut it in two and coat one-half of it with sea salt. Then use it to scrub the bottom and sides of your feet to get rid of dead skin.
Issue no. 6 – Dry skin
Hot sun, pool or sea water, sand, and the wind all play a role in drying out your skin during the summer months. To prevent this from happening, ditch long, hot showers at home for quick, lukewarm ones, moisturize your body with an antioxidant-packed product in the evening and apply mineral sunscreen whenever you spend time outdoors.
Issue no. 7 – Shiny face
There are many ways to ensure shine-free skin during the summer:
– Use sunscreen – Surprisingly, sunblock can actually help control oil and shine. Skip the moisturizer and use mineral sunscreen or one with denatured alcohol instead. Both will leave your skin matte.
– Use less makeup – Foundation leaves your skin feeling heavy and it melts into your pores, clogging them and producing more oil. Swap your foundation for a lighter BB cream or try a mineral powder foundation, which sucks up excess oil.
– Eat right – Spicy foods and alcohol dilate your blood vessels and make you sweat more. Stick to one drink per night and try to avoid spicy foods. Instead, load up on carrots, spinach, and mangos. These foods contain vitamin A, which can slow down oil production.
Issue no. 8 – Sunburn
If you overdid it at the beach, it’s important to help your skin recover as quickly as possible. Drinking lots of water goes a long way in ensuring you keep your body in top condition to fight the burn. Apart from that, there are a couple of ways you can reduce redness and hopefully minimize the damage:
– Aloe vera gels and lotions have a soothing and cooling effect
– Diluted apple cider vinegar helps restore your skin’s pH levels and leaves it cool and soothed
– Lavender oil helps soothe the burn
– Coconut oil moisturizes your skin and provides important vitamins to fight the burn
There’s no need to worry about the effects of summer on your face, body, or hair if you follow these simple tips. The best part of it all? You can stay safe and beautiful with all natural ingredients!